[an excerpt from my book, first written one New Years Day, to remind myself of all the reasons to keep walking as much as possible]
Why Walking Will Save You
- It brings you into solidarity with people across time, across the world, across all people groups.
- It slows you down.
- It gives you space to notice what’s around you, and think or pray.
- It doesn’t exploit the world’s resources.
- It doesn’t pollute or increase global warming.
- It connects you with the natural world and the seasons.
- It connects you with the community in which you live.
- It gives you healthy, gentle exercise.
- It provides the opportunity to bump into people.
- It provides you with vitamin D.
- It’s a great way to converse with a fellow walker.
- It increases dependence on the local economy.
- It’s a spiritual discipline—like fasting.
Know other good reasons? Please share below!
Also – check out your location’s “Walk Score” – highly correlated with the good life! (My home’s score is 85 – “Very Walkable”)